Sunday, July 21, 2013

Colette Patterns' Laurel: Muslin. Fitting the back.

So I'm writing this a few weeks after I took this picture which is a bad thing.  First off, this is going to be a "hmmm.  I think I was doing this here" sort of post.  But here goes.

I'm pretty sure this was the first go-round with the muslin.
Back. It would behoove you to take note of how loose and floppy the back is, especially in the lower back area.
 
Front. You can see where I've drawn in a line at my waist.  Also, please note the lines radiating from the bust point above and below the bust.  This will become important later.
 
More back?  Or perhaps a picture where I show off my massive arm?


After I took those pictures, I'm pretty sure I had Matt pin out the back according to the instructions on the Threads Torso Fitting DVD.  It seems that patterns are drafted as if we are straight up and down in the back and surprisingly, we are not, so there is usually a ton of excess fabric.  So here's how it looks now, after pulling some of that fabric out.  Better along the top.
 
But still a bit poofy nearer the waist.  Except apparently I found that okay at the time.
 
 The cats helped by watching.
 
Here is my muslin ripped apart and set up to redo the seam.  Look at all that I took out.
 
And then, due to my massive deltoids, I just went ahead and gave me more room in the underarm area.
 
Given the wrinkles around the bust line, I finally agreed that perhaps I am not a B cup any longer.  Which means it was time for my first Full Bust Adjustment!  And here it is.
 
And here is how it looks recut and resewed.  So much more room.  It was a bit of a revelation.
 
But I think there might be too much room now? And look how much extra is in the stomach area.
 
 This is me frowning because I'm not really sure how to get rid of that excess material.
 

1 comment:

  1. i really like the back, but agree with you on the front. the bust room is good, but the wait needs adjusting. have you found a solution for that?

    -from the ee cummings version of sara k

    ReplyDelete