Monday, February 10, 2014

Vintage Cakes: Gingerbread Icebox Cake with Mascarpone Mousse

Or make that "mascarpone" mousse as I had plans to make my own mascarpone, but the shop that sells the cultures was closed due to snow.  I needed a pound of mascarpone, which would have cost me $10.00 at New Seasons, so I went with the Internet cheat of cream cheese, a bit of sour cream and a bit of whipped cream.  Viola!  "Mascarpone"

I made the cookies on the Friday of the snow and the party was moved from Sunday (because of ice) to Monday.  So Monday I assembled.  Ten layers of gingerbread cookies with the mousse dividing them.

"But how will you cut this cake?" every single person at the birthday party asked me individually.  The plan was that the mousse would soften the cookies and it would be easy to slice.

And it was!  Isn't it fun?

Delicious too!

3 comments:

  1. Boy was it ever. Thanks, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it was very, very sweet! Love the heart-shaped cookie on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable. I bet it tasted DELISH, too!

    ReplyDelete