Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Colette Patterns' Laurel: Tiny ruffles are hard on the hands. Also, getting bias tape right.

Here they are, three sets of sleeve ruffles, nearly ready to ruffle.
 
And here I am ruffling them.  My fingers ached from all the pulling of bobbin threads.  I do a lot with my hands and they are pretty strong and don't usually bother me, but something about the pinching and pulling really took its toll.  But there's no crying in sewing.  (That's a completely untrue statement.  There is often a fair amount of crying in sewing, especially when you finish a dress and decide the collar is horrid.  Just to take one random example.)
 
Attempt #3 at continuous bias tape was more successful with this tutorial.  The part that helped me the most is in the picture on the screen.  No Big Dill suggests actually numbering your lines so you can match things up and that worked wonders for me.
 
Cutting the continuous bias tape. Very satisfying.
 

2 comments:

  1. Alas, I am guessing that there is actually crying in baseball as well. RUFFLES!!!! So exciting. The bias tape fabric is so sassy. Can't wait to see it attached and looking even more sassy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying for you! My fingers would be so sore.

    ReplyDelete