Sunday, August 9, 2009

Heading home: Oregon Trail Interpretive Park.

On our way home, we stopped at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Park. This was a great park with two short loops that walked you through the pioneer experience.

A succinct summation of your supplies.

It was interested to see the different "roads." In my mind a road is a paved surface that climbs and descends slowly and steadily. This park drove home (hah!) the idea that a road was where the wagons went. At one point in the park you can see where five "roads" converge.

This was a point in the journey when the pioneers were very tired and they still had to get over the mountains before the snow came.

A view of the trail.

This tree bears the scars of the wagons rolling over its roots. How cool is that? This actual tree witnessed pioneers rolling right over its roots.

More of the actual trail.

A wagon, for your picture taking pleasure.

The first time I saw a covered wagon, I was pretty disappointed. They seemed so small. They were also much taller than I expected.

Commemorative picture.

I can't look at the back of a wagon without thinking of Jack, Laura Ingall's dog.

1 comment:

  1. THis is super cool! It is so funny to me, my kids have no idea about the Oregon Trail. It is something I think NW kids know about before they even hit school. Last year I said something about the Oregon Trail and the kids were like...What? Hee hee I can't help but use some kid-ism to express this statement! Looks like a lot of fun. I like the commemorative picture the best.

    ReplyDelete