Thursday, May 15, 2014

A walk through Southeast

I had a class at the Attic Institute, so I walked from the Pearl all the way there.  It was a great day for a walk.  Here's what I saw.

Inappropriate use of an apostrophe. 

The approach to the Burnside Bridge.  When I lived downtown and Matt lived at 29th & Stark, I would walk this bridge often, going between our two places.

Boy playing in the fountain.

Nice chalk graffiti on the bridge.

This establishment which advertised low-cost legal services and did not advertise with words all the plants for sale.  But the display spoke for itself.

Nice tiny little house.

I swung past the shuttered Washington High School, built at a time when they knew how to make high schools look awesome.

Including quotes over the doors. Ahem, Oregon legislature.  Ahem.

I was intrigued by this roof which does not match the Victorian-style house at all.

And then discovered that the tiny building itself is something of interest.

I saw a sign painter plying her trade.

This part of town has some really great facades.

Don't those columns inspire awe?  The other nice part about the neighborhood is that the lots are small, so you can get very close to these houses.  And the houses get very close to each other.

There was a little bit of painting.  Some craft (the bookshelf) some art (the canvas).

These type of houses, with the hipped roof, are fairly rare in Portland.  When you see them, they are almost always sideways in the lot, like these.

Nice stonework on this church.

There was a farmers market open.

A helpful sign.

An attempt to capture the rose and the colorful bush behind it.

A good paint job begun.  But not finished.

Trees removed.  I bet the light changed dramatically in these houses.


Should you want to purchase a "garden condo" this one is for sale. It's one bedroom, one bath, 997 square feet.  No parking.  $245,900.  Yeah.  That's why I don't live in this neck of the woods.  Sorry people who used to live in complex when it was an apartment.  People with WAY more money than you are eager to move in.

It wouldn't be a walk on Hawthorne without a picture of the Ecoroof on the Hostel.  

Sewing machine not working?  Why not use a few of them as weights to hold the awning for a food cart.?

The food cart in question.

Don't forget that "Gift Certificates Always Fit."

Once upon a time it was the Sunnyside Lodge.

Now?  The Hawthorne Theater.

This sign made me giggle.

6 comments:

  1. You always find the most interesting things on your walks, and I suspect that's because you're actually paying attention to your surroundings. Great pics!

    So why did Washington HS close? Also, I wonder if we're going to have to start accepting inappropriate usage of apostrophes. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan. I love looking at details when I walk. It's why I'm not bored walking through my own neighborhood which I've done roughly 40 million times. There are always changes and things I've never noticed before.

    Washington High School closed because of declining enrollment. I'm happy it's finding new life instead of being razed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already commented on this post a few Sundays ago. But, due to no auto password on my iPad, all was lost! Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun post to revisit, I don't min recommenting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured a lot of great views on this stroll. I like the columns on the houses too. That not quite finished paint job is also excellent. Somewhere there is a partner nagging away to get that done. I love that school. Tell me it will be apartments/condos, etc. I am hoping to one day live in an old school house! :) Not that I want the school to close, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a short period of time where the school where I work was planning on moving to that high school and sharing space with Portland Parks and Rec. At the time, the plan was for the top floors to be residential, either apartments or condos. The deal fell apart because Portland Parks wanted to take over the classrooms at 3:30 every day and felt the playground couldn't be anywhere near the school because "it might disturb the residents." This logic seemed idiotic to me because who would get an apartment/condo in a former high school with a current elementary school and not expect to hear children playing? Also, there are houses all around the school, should we be quiet for them too? Massive eye roll.

    At any rate, Portland Parks is still involved in the renovation and I think there is still housing planned.

    ReplyDelete