Saturday, March 9, 2013

Our Heritage?



Celebrate "Rip City style" by honoring the Trail Blazers 80's teams. 
Players will wear special Rip City jerseys to honor our heritage.

Now me, I think of "my heritage" as something that happened far in the past, like the fact that my great-grandmother had 15 children, or my grandfather died when my dad was a teenager, or that my other grandfather was born in New Hampshire, but grew up in Greece.  I don't think of my "heritage" as something that happened less that 35 years ago.  That's not a heritage, that's the recent past.

Interestingly, here's the definition from Dictionary.com

her·it·age

  [her-i-tij]  Show IPA
noun
1.
something that comes or belongs to one by reason of birth; an inherited lot or portion: a heritage ofpoverty and suffering; a national heritage of honor, pride, and courage.
2.
something reserved for one: the heritage of the righteous.
3.
Law.
a.
something that has been or may be inherited by legal descent or succession.
b.
any property, especially land, that devolves by right of inheritance.


Can we really say that our pro basketball team came to us by birth?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they have inherited the old jerseys from the old team... :)

    ReplyDelete