Saturday, December 31, 2011

Three sentence movie reviews: State Fair


Though I've only seen it one other time, this is one of my favorite movie musicals. The songs are good, the clothing is delightful, the story is hokey--but entertaining--and I love the idealized depiction of an Iowa State Fair. For those of you who would like State Fair in more forms, there is also a book by Phil Strong, a non-musical version from 1933 starring Will Rodgers and a 1962 version set in Texas starring Pat Boone.


Note: I watched this sometime during Winter Break and forgot to record it in my journal. So here it is here, tacked onto the end of the year.

Also note: For Harry Morgan fans, there's a nice cameo of him as the man running the ring tossing booth, many years before his time as M*A*S*H's Colonel Potter.

2 comments:

  1. My state fair is a great state fair. What a song! Does this one also have Why-oh why-oh why-oh did I ever leave Ohio (I think not, but need to check!)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohio was written for "My Sister Eileen" which I've not seen in either movie or play form. But I would like to. This one has "It Might as Well Be Spring" and "It's a Grand Night for Singing"

    ReplyDelete