Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best books read in 2011

The annual Patricia Awards
(with 2011 being the year of the YA novel)

I read 101 books this year. I was hoping to read no more than 70 and completely failed. To be fair, there were a lot of YA novels, which are quick reads. There were also a goodly number of poetry and Shakespeare plays, which are also quick reads, but suffice to say I spent a lot of time reading this year. You needn't read as many books as I did. Instead, take a gander at the following awards and pick (or avoid) a read for yourself.

(All original reviews of these books can be found on this blog or on Goodreads)

Darn Good Concept whose ending was unfortunately bungled:
Incarceron
Catherine Fisher

Best female character I've encountered in years:
and
Best series to spawn 100 discussions about a variety of topics:
and
Best book by an author with my last name:
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

Best novel to include a hilarious musical theater scene:
and
Most memorable main character since Owen Meany:
Will Greyson Will Greyson
John Green & David Levithen

Best book to read during the holiday season:
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Rachel Cohen & David Levithen

Book I couldn't convince anyone else to read due to odd subject matter, but that I (and the book group) absolutely loved:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Muriel Barbery

Interesting portrait about one man overcoming (and succumbing to) his upbringing:
The Last American Man
Elizabeth Gilbert

An interesting idea, a gripping read, all capped off with two perfectly awful last chapters:
My Name is Memory
Ann Brashares

The classic novel I enjoyed much more than I thought I would:
Frankenstein
Mary Shelly

Sidesplittingly funny story of exactly what the title says:
The Absolutely True Dairy of a Part-Time Indian
Sherman Alexie

Good collection of poems about people and travel:
The Last Uncle
Linda Pastan

Interesting book (especially about the history of the science of diet and exercise) whose advice I would rather not follow:
Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It
Gary Taubes

The most delightful tales from anywhere this year:
Tales from Outer Suburbia
Shawn Tan

Parts 1 & 2 of what would have been an intense five part novel:
and
Most heartbreaking story of its creation:
Suite Francaise
Irene Nemirovsky

Biggest slog I should have just quit reading:
The House at Riverton
Kate Morton

Best set of poems to read when you need a bit of a laugh:
The HaHa
David Kirby

Most fun book written this year for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans:
The Wilder Life
Wendy McClure

A bit too long, with a completely unneeded side plot, but still a very good read:
The Hour I First Believed
Wally Lamb

Excellent magical realism and overall most cherished book read this year:
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Aimee Bendar

Fun to read, if only for the Richard III as Rocky Horror Picture Show send-up:
The Eyere Affair
Jasper Fforde

Best reason to clear your schedule for a few days:
Freedom: A Novel
Jonathen Franzen

My two favorite British characters this year:
and
The kind of book where the five pages of setup is completely worth it for the joke's payoff:
Freddy & Fredericka
Mark Halprin

Best languid description of landscape:
My Antonia
Willa Cather

Best audiobook to listen to while you wait out the insomnia:
A New Earth
Eckhard Tolle

Best intriguing plot and plot shift:
Silver Sparrow
Tayari Jones

Most delightful eleven-year-old of the year:
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Jacqueline Kelly

Especially good novel to read aloud with a partner:
One Day
David Nichols

A bright bit of fun for a cold night:
13 Little Blue Envelopes
Maureen Johnson

Book that I finished, but only so I could discuss it at book group:
100 Years of Solitude
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Best urban tale set in Canada:
Blink & Caution
Tim Wynne Jones

Book I found both heartbreaking and heartwarming:
A Place on Earth
Wendall Barry

Book I liked the best of the "Anne" series:
Anne's House of Dreams
L.M. Montgomery

My favorite book read for the Mock Printz:
A Monster Calls
Patrick Ness/Siobhan Dowd

Incredible, wonderful, stupendous book...Until the last four words:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Laini Taylor

Best sci-fi historical fiction novel:
Kindred
Octavia E. Butler

Best "rough around the edges" memoir:
It's So Easy & Other Lies
Duff McKeagan

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent Patricia Awards. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously my favorite Out and About post ever.

    ReplyDelete