Monday, July 6, 2009

6 July. Five pictures from my Washington DC trip.

My flight didn't leave until 5:30 pm and Sara nicely offered to drive me to the airport which meant we had time to do a bit more sightseeing. Jess came along too. We took a trip to Oxon Hill Farm where we wandered a bit and had a chance to take this senior portrait.
Here we are violating the rule "don't touch any farm animals." I thought it was a dumb rule.
Post farm, we drove into Baltimore because Jess heard that the Pizza was quite good at BOP Brick Oven Pizza. It was, but you know what else was good? The gelato shop down the street. I've not had gelato before--figuring that if you can have ice cream, why have gelato? Today I found my answer. It was de-lic-ious! Pitango gelato. Go there if you can. I had chocolate noir and creme fraishe which I recommend.
While in the gelato shop Sara saw a woman with a great hat. As we wandered through the shopping area I spied the very same hat in a hat store. We went in to look at the various great hats and chatted with the clerk, who was much nicer than the clerk in the clothes shop down the street who ignored us, which is why I don't like to go into fancy clothes shops, aside from the fact that they don't make clothing in my size. Anyway, this clerk was quite friendly and Sara bought a hat. "Would you like to wear it," he asked, "so others can see it and come in here just as you did?" he asked. She said yes and she did.

On our way to the airport, we saw this billboard. I really liked what I saw of Baltimore and I would like to explore it more someday.
Because my navigation skills are good, but not superb, we got to drive through a good chunk of Baltimore. This was okay in my book because I wasn't really excited about getting to the airport. We also got to play Sara's "identify the denomination of the church" game which I'm not so good at, but is fun. We eventually got to the airport and posed for one last picture, with Sara in her new hat. Fetching, isn't it?
I then entered the hell of airports, as evidenced by this incident. I was waiting in a line that was not moving and witnessed a woman in an American Airlines uniform, with an American Airlines lanyard and American Airlines ID tell a man, "I would love to help you, but I don't work for American Airlines."

I hate airlines.

So if someone could get to work on that transponder, I would be ever so happy.

Minus the airplanes it was a great trip. I came home proud to be an American.

2 comments:

  1. Third time better be the charm.

    Gelato tastes great in Silver City, NM on a hot day. Come to think about it, I have never had a bad gelato.
    Too bad air travel stinks. Used to be kind of fun back in the old days. Think "Catch Me If You Can".
    Love Sara's hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have a fun adventure on our way to the airport! The farm was great, but you are right, the gelato was the best part! We have now been to 3 out of 4 of their shops and this Baltimore one is the cutest and the most quaint. Thanks for the compliments on my hat - I do love it! :) They have some new felt cloche hats in for the fall/winter that I am really jonesing for! -S Is MJS your mom?

    ReplyDelete