Sunday, July 5, 2009

5 July. Five pictures from my Washington DC trip.

After our long day and late night, I was happy that St Paul's K street's solemn mass isn't until after 11:00. We went and I enjoyed the pageantry of the service. Post church we met up with Sara's sister Jess and went to Chinatown and had "Fresh Noodle Made on the Spot."
I met up with Jenna at The Building Museum. I was pretty excited to see Portland was featured in the Green Community exhibit. Oh look! We're even in the picture on this page of the website. There was also a great exhibit about storefront churches.

I bid goodbye to Jenna and decided to take another attempt at the National Museum of the American Indian. On the way, I took this picture of the capitol.
I love the beauty of the American Indian museum's building. All the undulating lines make it interesting to photograph and fun to look at. You can see more pictures by scrolling down to the bottom of this link.
I never thought I would say this, but I was pretty museumed out. I went to look at the food court, which I heard was fabulous and which looked delicious, but I was still full from "Fresh Noodle." I wandered through two gift shops buying some last souvenirs. Then I wandered across the exhibit "Ramp it Up" about the skateboarding culture in Native America. Because I have always had a soft spot in my heart for skaters, I loved this exhibit.
I took the Metro back to Sara & Shawn's and I entirely checked out, missed my stop by a couple of stops and had to double back. That has never happened to me on any public transportation system. Ever. I was pretty tired. We (S&S along with Jess) lounged around a bit and then went to see Vertigo at this Diner. Both Sara and I were thinking "Diner in front, movie theater in back," but no, there was not theater, just a small screen and a projector in enclosed deck out front. When it got time for the movie, they loaded it up and turned on the sound. It was kind of bizarre. But fun. I'd seen the movie before, but still gasped in surprise as the nun rounded the corner at the end.

It was a good last full day of my trip.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly I have missed stops on the metro before - once I was asleep. Oh well! See my comments about the movie on your 3-sentence review! It was a fun day!!! -S

    ReplyDelete