Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Three sentence movie reviews--Summer Movie Throwdown.

That's right folks. All the movies I've seen this summer up until now. That's 36 sentences all in one post.

Juno
Viewed in Okland, Romania with 13 youth, projected on a wall with very quiet sound. It was hard to hear, but still good. This makes viewing number three.

Be Kind Rewind
I expected a very different movie than what I saw. It was much sweeter than I thought it would be and pretty funny. Overall, a tiny bit formulaic, which surprised me, given the director.

Devil Wears Prada
I love a good truly awful (personality-wise) female lead, especially when balanced by a good female lead with a moral quandary. Excellent acting by all involved with a taut storyline. But overall, I mostly loved looking at the clothing.

21
Two of the youth recommended this movie to me and I soon found out why: It's a nerd fantasy movie. I've been waiting for them to make a movie of this "true story" since I heard about the book on NPR. The only thing that disappointed was a major change from the true story to the movie world--other than that, good acting, good story line, just a good movie in general.

Just My Luck
An absolutely asinine movie with a stupid plot, insipid acting and annoying scene after annoying scene. Why did I watch it? When you haven't had more than 3 hours sleep in more than a day and you are trapped in a plane, many movies that you wouldn't watch on terra firma will do.

The Dark Knight.
A huge disappointment as I really was looking forward to it. The acting, special effects, etc were all fabulous. I just hated, hated, HATED the plot.

Incredible Hulk
After the disaster of Hulk there was really only one way to go. And I thought Edward Norton was an interesting Bruce Banner. It almost erased the stench of The Dark Knight.

27 Dresses
I wanted to like this movie, but I didn't. Four months later I can't remember why, which is a review right there. I do think Judy Greer needs to be in every movie I see though; she is awesome!

Juno
Mom hadn't seen it, so here it was for the fourth time. Not movies survive to the second viewing, much less the fourth. I hope Michael Cera doesn't get overexposed.

Stranger Than Fiction
When I first saw this movie I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. A very clever story with good actors bringing their a-game. This is why I love the movies.

Pineapple Express
Not as funny as I wanted it to be, but I was happy to see the actor who played "Bust-Ass" in "All the Real Girls." And I like James Franco and Seth Rogan. So very silly movie that I mostly enjoyed.

Iron Man
Still good. Still Robert Downey Jr. Still didn't like Terrance Howard.

1 comment:

  1. How can I possibly reply? Perhaps with 3 sentences that don't really matter. What do you think? -S

    ReplyDelete