Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Secret The Secret by Rhonda Byrne


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
Okay, I admit it, one of my deep, dark secrets is that I read a lot of self-help books. Diet books, financial books, pop psychology books, they have all been checked out on my library card. While I don't think they hurt me any, I feel sort of schlubby admitting that I spend a good amount of leisure time learning how other people say I should live my life.



This book is one of those self-help books that I am pretty skeptical about. If everyone has the power to create whatever they want, are we saying that all those people living in poverty around the world are just some creative visioning away from Jack Canfield's mansion? The friend of friends who just died of breast cancer had the power to make it go away? I don't buy it--although I'm sure the author would say that this is getting in the way of my own success, worrying about the poor and sick of the world.



But I decided to walk through my day as if all the things I wanted to happen were going to happen. It was quite pleasant, actually and I may spend the off moments of my day (shower, walking to various bus and Max stops) visualizing what I want my life to look like. It can't hurt any.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I think you raise valid points. I certainly have prayed for Jen's cancer (along with countless others) to go away for the whole time she has had it. I have wished it away. Desired it away. Envisioned it away...and we know that none of that worked in the end. Even though I didn't want it and even she didn't want it, it was her time to go. Wonder how the author would counter that. -S

    ReplyDelete