Friday, March 7, 2008

Body Drama. Nancy Amanda Redd

I. Love. This. Book. Nancy Redd has written a book with "Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues & Real Answers" as it says on the front cover. The book is divided into five sections: shape, skin, down there, boobs, hair and nails. Each chapter covers several different "dramas" such as "My face is a zit factory" or "It's bumpy or lumpy down there."

Aside from very informative text, there are also photos. Many photos of actual women. In the back there is a two-page layout of front and back naked views of several different women. There is also a spread (hee hee) of 24 different women's vulvas. Nothing is airbrushed, and the constant message is that your natural body is wonderful. It's like a more direct "Our bodies, ourselves," but with pictures.

I'm pretty savvy in the body department, but I learned a lot too. Third nipples? There is a picture and explanation. Pubic lice? Yep. Stretch marks? Picture. The pictures were my favorite part though I also enjoyed the true confessions from the author. Now that I've devoured this book, I'm waiting for the boy's version.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Not sure this prudish prig could handle it, but I really love the idea of body as beautiful - just as it is.

    But I should disclose that I would LOVE botox and lipo! And I keep telling Shawn that its a gift that would keep on giving. Trust me - he rolls his eyes at that and admonishes me greatly! -S

    And I don't want any e-lectures via email...I can guess how you feel about the above statement. :)

    ReplyDelete