Monday, May 31, 2010

Books read in May

My reading style tends to be many books at once. I'll start something, and if it isn't a totally compelling narrative, I'll read a little of that, and then maybe start something else and on and on. Then there tends to be the books I "must" read for one reason or other. This system, informal as it is, hasn't been working for me lately. In the middle of the month, I decided I would read one book at a time. The thinking was that it would force me to decide earlier that I wasn't going to finish the book and move onto something I did want to read.

In some ways, it has been a good thing, though I chafe against the restriction when I am working through a "must read" book I'm not enjoying much. I tend to skim then, which for those books, is probably what I should have been doing all along.

Read
Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Jamie Ford
The title is how the whole book went. On first glance, it's a great one. But on second glance it becomes a bit schlocky. So was the plot. However, the relocation of the Japanese was heartbreaking and the book is probably worth reading just for that part.


Living Oprah
Robyn Okrant
A woman does what Oprah tells her to for an entire year. Sometimes this is repetitive, but other times very funny. It's a quick read, you might enjoy.

Envoy: Your Personal guide to classroom management
Michael Grinder
This here is the discipline plan at George Middle School. Now that I read it, I understand why the teacher doesn't move for 30 seconds after giving directions.

Every Last One
Anna Quindlan
Nice descriptions of life with teenagers. This is a hard book to read, subject matter-wise.

Empress of the World
Sara Ryan
Good YA first love fiction, but with two girls. These kind of YA books didn't exist when I was a YA reader, so I was happy to see this.

Radical Homemakers
Shannon Hayes
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Examines women and men who are taking a different path to modern life. Very well written and interesting. Recommended.

Sing them Home
Stephanie Kallos
Nice, thick novel centered on a Nebraska family whose mother was borne away by a tornado. Great characters. Also, a fun take on "the dead." This is my favorite type of novel.

Started but did not finish

A Celibate Season
Carol Sheilds & Blanch Howard
It turned out I had read this already.

Perennial Vegetables: From Artichoke to Zuki Taro, a gardeners guide to over 100 delicious, easy-to-grow edibles
Eric Tonesmeir
Good guide to vegetables you don't have to keep planting every year.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Richard Bernstein
I can tell you, after reading this, that I don't want to get diabetes so I don't have to go on his diet. Interesting story of how the author became a doctor.

The Secrets of Making Wine from Fruits and Berries
Leslie G. Slater
Old fashioned book. Tiny, but packed with information.

The complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Sandra Woodruff and Christopher Saudek
More commercial discussion of the diabetes topic.

1 comment:

  1. One book at a time, what a compelling idea. I am in 3 right now...and not really that, since I have been up too late to get any reading in.

    ReplyDelete