Friday, November 28, 2008

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist


I didn't like this as much as I liked the book, but it was a nice way to spend an evening. Kat Dennings is absolutely mesmerizing, so much so that Michael Cera faded into the background a bit. There are some laugh-out-loud funny lines in the movie, but if you have to choose one, read the book.

Oh! I forgot that they made a major plot point change between the book and the movie that I disagree with. The book is much better. Much.
poster from http://www.allposters.com/

2 comments:

  1. Aren't the books always better? Do you know of any movies that turn out better than the books? Hmmmm....I can think of movies that were as good as the books...but better...hmmm...

    -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I could think of some if I gave it some time. Sometimes the movie fleshes out things that don't really come to life on the page, or makes a more coherent narrative. There is even a list on Goodreads titled "The Movie Was Better Than the Book". I disagree with many of them, but here are some I agree with:
    Fight Club
    Forrest Gump
    Big Fish
    Eddie and the Cruisers
    The Hours
    Starship Troopers
    The Natural


    Also sometimes I like both the movie and the book best because they both bring out good qualities in the story:
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    The Orchid Thief/Adaptation
    Atonement

    That said, about 90% of the time the book is at least as good as the movie, but mostly better.

    ReplyDelete