Saturday, December 1, 2007

Read in November

I read 10 novels this month, which isn't bad. As usual, most of them were novels, with a few non-fiction thrown in for good measure. This month saw me very picky with my books. It was hard to settle in, especially early in the month. There were a lot that were started and not finished. In compiling this list, I realize that I read more books that are just so-so than I would like. I’m not sure how to fix that. I think I need some good recommendations, but I don’t seem to be tapped into any book recommending network. Maybe I’ll go back to my tactic of looking up the titles I like on Amazon.com and seeing what books other people bought. That might not work so well for fiction. It’s a very good tactic for non-fiction. I never buy from Amazon; I get the books from the library instead.

I’ll happily take any recommendations. I like good historical fiction a lot, but only if it is well written. I like modern realistic fiction, the better written the happier I am. I even like science fiction and fantasy, but it has to have a good plot line.

Read:(see the individual reviews)

Elizabeth Warren & Amelia Tyagi

Soon I will be invincible.
Austin Grossman.

The Invisible Circus

Jennifer Egan.

The god of animals.
Aryn Kyle.

Don't Die, My Love
Lurline McDaniel

Eleanor Rigby
Douglas Coupland

Rattled
Debra Galant

Storage & Shelving Solutions: Over 70 projects and ideas that fit your budget, space and lifestyle.
Reader's Digest

Metropolis: A Novel
Elizabeth Gaffney

Venus Envy
Shannon McKeldon


Started and didn't finish:
England, England.
Julian Barnes.
I started this after finishing Soon I Will Be Invincible and I think the happy glow of that book interfered with any small spark of interest that this book might have given out. I couldn't get into it.

My Life, Starring Dara Falcon.
Ann Beattie
See the England, England entry. Same deal.

Almighty Me.
Robert Bausch
And this was the third book I just wasn't into. Good premise, man gets the powers of god for a year. Execution? Not that interesting.

Oy pioneer!: a novel.
Marleetn S. Barr
I checked this out of the library and began reading it only to discover I had already read it. I must really like the title.

Mainlines, blood feasts, and bad taste: a Lester Bangs reader.
Ed by John Morthland.
I would like to say I knew who Lester Bangs was before I saw Almost Famous where Philip Seymour Hoffman portrayed him as a slightly manic semi-gonzo Rock Journalist who delivers my favorite line in the entire movie: "The only true currency in this world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool." However, I was in elementary school when he died and I had no idea who he was.

So this book introduced me to his writings. He is an electric writer, although I feel like I can see the drugs behind the words on the page. The book is all about music, some of which you will know, some of which you will vaguely remember and some of which you will have no idea what he is talking about because the bands have not stood the test of time. He died in 1982 a lot of bands have faded into the unconscious since then. This is a great book for a rock music lover (aware of music before 1982) to have around to dip into and read a bit of and then set down. I'm not really set up for dipping into right now, so I'm not going to finish this. But it's no reflection on Lester Bangs.

Mozart's Sister: a novel.
Rita Charbonnier.
I'm just not into this book about, well you can guess from the title. I suspect it will make me mad, the way she, a talented musician got shunted aside for her genius brother. So I'm not going to keep reading.

The complete idiot's guide to gluten-free eating.
Adamson & Thompson.
I've been eating gluten-free to see if it will solve my health problems. I picked this up to get some tips.

So simple window style.
Abbott & Burren.
I didn't read this book, but I copied a few ideas. I really want to do Roman Shades in the front room. Maybe this summer.

Smart Shelving and Storage Solutions.
Danny Proulx
This book was eclipsed by the other storage & shelf book I got. Sorry Mr. Proulx.

Checked out and didn't read:
American Diaspora: poetry of displacement.
Ed. by Suraez & Van Cleave.
I got this book for a project for youth group and then forgot to bring it the day of. It went back to the library unread.

Intoxicated: A novel of money, madness, and the invention of the world's favorite soft drink.
John Barlow
I wasn't in the mood for this. So I didn't read it. I think I couldn't get past the fact that it seemed to be about Coca-Cola, but began in England. I know it could have gone anywhere from there, but I kept thinking, "Coca-Cola is from Atlanta, Georgia! What are we doing in England?"

2 comments:

  1. You know that I am really impressed with this. My friend Megan introduced me to good reads (www.goodreads.com) where you can share reading tips and recommendations in an online community.

    I have always wanted to look at Nancy Pearl's books: Book Lust and Book Crush. There you are...you didn't ask for advice...but you got it anyway! -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I am NOT near the reader you are unlesss you factopr in all the childrens' books I go through (in fact I am a tad intimidated to recommend anything), BUT since you mentioned one of my "youthful favs" I will recommend a book I recently read: Accidental Happiness (can't remember who wrote it - see why I hesitate??)! It would fall in the modern realistic ficiton category. It was an interesting read and a book that had me saying "Wow, I did not see that one coming" and I love it when I can say that. Another thing we have in common - I never buy books I always check them out from the library it helps living across the street from one. Wow... I was wordy... so there you go!

    ReplyDelete