Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bizarro has been cracking me up.

Our paper has a darn good comic section. I read a lot of the comics on the 2-page spread, but last week Bizarro was funny.

This first one made me laugh because when I was young and Speak and Spells were popular, we had one. I was a bit hopeless at it, and had endless troubles with "Level One"

"Spell Angel." It would say.

"A-N-G-L-E" I would type in every time.

"In-cor-rect." If you had a Speak and Spell, you know what it sounded like. "Try a-gain."

I would furrow my brow and type again. "A-N-G-L-E."

The Speak and Spell never got tired of my continued misspelling of this word. It would just continue on, "In-cor-rect. The cor-rect spelling of Angel is. A-N-G-E-L." And it would move on. After all these years, I still pause and visualize the word "angel," or "angle" before I write them.

Note. If you clicked on that Speak and Spell link, you may have been as delighted as I was to see the box. "Makes spelling what it should be--fun!" What an hopeful slogan that was. Advertisers. So jaded on the inside and optimistic on the outside.

The humor of this comic depends on if you have a "Friendly Retired Guy" in your life:
I actually laughed out loud on the train when I read this. My father was a friendly retired guy long before he was retired. I have several memories of him going out on a walk after dinner and returning ninety minutes later to report that he'd been talking with the guy 15 minutes down the street for an hour or so. He can start a conversation with anyone, anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! I never read the paper anymore...but I better start catching the comics soon! I love the angles one...as a teacher who has taught math to 6th graders...they are always spelling angles and angels wrong. And oh yeah the speak and spell...I had forgotten about that! Too bad I still can't spell! -S

    ReplyDelete