Friday, September 23, 2011

Three sentence movie reviews: Pearl Jam 20

I'm not a fan of Pearl Jam's music and never have been, but I am a fan of Cameron Crowe and my friend Kelly is a fan of Pearl Jam and this documentary appeared on my radar somewhat near her birthday so off we went. With all that said, I LOVED this movie. It might have been the huge nostalgia factor--there is a ton of early footage--that reminded me of my youth spent having crushes on boys whose style looked an awful lot like early 90s Pearl Jam, or it might have been that everyone interviewed came off as nice and their story compelling and so I couldn't stop thinking about this movie for days.*


*Please note that I've read now two scathing reviews of the movie and the Rotten Tomato meter is at this date at 68% for critics. So clearly I'm not the best judge. But note that the Audience Review on Rotten Tomatoes is 97%. So if you want to see this film, you are probably going to like it. As far as I'm concerned, Cameron Crowe could just make music documentaries from now on.

2 comments:

  1. I forget that you didn't like Pearl Jam. Funny about the boys to be crushing on... How nice that it had a surprising enjoyment factor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot because I kept it on the down low. I didn't want people to know that I thought the hip bands weren't as much fun as the hair metal bands. It took Chuck Klosterman's Fargo Rock City to proudly claim my love.

    ReplyDelete