Friday, October 26, 2007

In case you were wondering, today IS my birthday.

I love my birthday. It's not about the presents, or the cake, but about it being MY birthday. (And Henry's, a first grader from school, and Meridith's, from my youth group, and Hillary Clinton's) I like people to wish me happy birthday on my birthday. I like their delight when they discover it is my birthday. When people find out it's your birthday, even strangers you meet throughout the day, they gasp, straighten up, throw back their shoulders, a smile comes to their face and the cheerfully exclaim, "Happy Birthday!" I love that.

Worst birthday ever? The year I did inventory the night before at Bread & Circus and neglected to plan something for the day itself. I spent the entire day alone.

Best birthday ever? Last year. Why? Elementary school children get birthdays. Last year I had cards from two classes, several whole-class choruses of "Happy Birthday" and seemingly every single child wishing me happy birthday. I also put a huge sticker on that said "Today is my birthday" so all the parents could wish me happy birthday too. Which they did. And I got a crown which I wore all day and home on the bus. Best birthday ever!

In the afternoon, Kristen, the K/1 teacher informed me that Henry, the student in her class who I share a birthday with, had invited me to share his Wishing Ceremony. It was great. I got to sit in the rocking chair and we all covered our eyes and thought of a birthday wish for me. I was thinking about my Wishing Ceremony yesterday and realized that my birthday wish was to own a house. Which, of course, came true! I think all those K/1 birthday wishes helped. One of them that I remember is the wish that I would find "Pirate Treasure." And I did in a way. I would count the Land Trust as Pirate Treasure.

Sadly, this year there is no school on my birthday. I protested heartily when it came up as a potential day off, but I lost out. Even more sadly, leap year next year propels my birthday right over Saturday to Sunday. Lame. So it will be awhile before I have such a great birthday again. The glow from last year will have to last until 2009.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that I got my greetings in already!!! I love that you got to join in the school's celebrations! I always keep my day secret! One year the kids did find out and I got a massive U of I cupcake made by a fellow Vandal fan. It was very sweet!. Hope you are out, or in for that matter, having a great celebration! -S

    ReplyDelete